I'm back! This time I have something really spunky and fun to show you...
So I took it upon myself to repaint a rocking chair that has belonged to my family for a far longer time than I've been alive (don't worry it's not an antique!).
First, I took the whole thing apart, screws and all.
I did this in order to give better attention to the sanding and eventually to the painting. The whole taking apart step really isn't a must, but I felt that the chair wouldn't look as good if I didn't.
The next step was sanding. Which was tough. I don't own a mechanical hand sander, so my own hands went to use... And man, did they hurt afterwards.
After rubbing the sanded pieces with a dry towel in order to remove any leftover sawdust, I began my painting. I invested in the new Behr Marquee paint, because I want my project to last quite some time, and because it was $4.00 for two quarts... What a steal for such good, hi-tech paint!
I did a few coats... Just be careful with this paint and the amount you use. Also, it is important to note that outdoor paint has to be maintained at a specific temperature range while you are painting with it (it should give the range on the product itself). It's not a huge deal if you do it in a temperature higher (and I would assume with lower too), but with the higher temperatures, the paint doesn't set as well. So if you have the opportunity to do it in your garage, or if you're brave enough to do it inside, then I would recommend doing so.
When selecting my paint, I attempted to match the colors of the pattern from my post How to Recover Round Ugly, Old Chairs , and while the colors do not perfectly match, I think that the rocking chair ended up being a spark that our deck needed. Overall, the project took me about a day and a half with the drying time... But keep in mind that every paint is different and won't act the same as this project did.
Here's the finished product!
The picture doesn't really do it justice... It looks a bit odd here. It doesn't look as crazy with the rest of the mellow furniture on the deck. I also took some extra fabric from my last post and made a pillow to tie the chair in to the rest of the deck.
And, of course, I couldn't escape unscathed...
Well, that's all for now folks! Please let me know if you have any questions! <3 p="">3>